In an age of digital transformation, the brick-and-mortar shopping experience continues to hold a strong appeal for consumers, especially when it comes to home appliance purchases. The recently released J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Appliance Satisfaction Study sheds light on significant trends and preferences of consumers in the home appliance market. Being in the Kitchen & Bath Industry, understanding these insights can enhance our ability to cater to our clients’ needs and make informed recommendations.
The Power of In-Store Experience:
According to the study, an impressive 71% of home appliance purchases occur in-store, indicating that the traditional showroom environment still reigns supreme. Even in a world where e-commerce has gained substantial ground, three-quarters of appliance purchases take place during the first visit to a physical store. This underlines the importance of the in-person experience when it comes to major home appliance decisions.
Online Research and In-Store Purchases:
The study highlights that 56% of home appliance shoppers conduct online research before venturing into the store. While price remains a dominant factor, the research reveals that one-third of buyers did not make a purchase due to specific options and features not being available. Additionally, one-fifth of potential buyers couldn’t proceed with their desired purchase due to appliance unavailability in stock.
Customer Satisfaction in Appliance Segments:
The J.D. Power study analyzed 12 major home appliance segments and identified the highest-ranking brands in customer satisfaction for each category:
- Cooktop: Samsung (892) leads, followed by Whirlpool (887).
- Freestanding Range: Samsung (897) secures the top spot, with LG (894) and Whirlpool (891) close behind.
- Wall Oven: KitchenAid (897) ranks highest, followed by Whirlpool (883).
- Over-the-Range Microwave: LG and Samsung (885) share the top spot, followed by Whirlpool (877).
- Dishwasher: KitchenAid (880) tops the list, with Samsung (877) and Bosch (874) following closely.
- French Door Refrigerator: Samsung (895) leads the category, with LG (887) securing the second position.
- Side-by-Side Refrigerator: LG (898) ranks highest, followed by Samsung (889).
- Top-Mount Freezer Refrigerator: Samsung (860) claims the top spot, with LG (856) and Frigidaire and Whirlpool (854) tied in third place.
- Front-Load Clothes Washer: Samsung (892) excels in customer satisfaction.
- Top-Load Clothes Washer: Samsung (889) leads, trailed by LG (884) and Whirlpool (881).
- Clothes Dryer: Samsung (893) secures the highest customer satisfaction, followed by Whirlpool (884).
- Appliance Retailer: Menards (887) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among appliance retailers, with The Home Depot (867) and Best Buy (865) following.
The J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Appliance Satisfaction Study provides valuable insights into the preferences and behaviors of consumers in the home appliance market. For Kitchen & Bath Trade Professionals and Retail Associates, recognizing the continued significance of brick-and-mortar showrooms is essential in catering to clients’ needs effectively. By embracing the power of in-store experiences and guiding customers through their appliance choices, professionals can enhance customer satisfaction and elevate their remodeling projects to new heights. As the home appliance landscape continues to evolve, staying aligned to consumer preferences and providing exceptional in-store experiences will remain vital to our success.
To access the complete study and detailed rankings, visit:https://www.jdpower.com/business/home/appliance-satisfaction-study
Kitchen & Bath Marketer – Pacific Sales/ Best Buy