In the kitchen and bath industry, the meaning of “sale” in retail goes far beyond the act of purchasing a product and setting up delivery. It’s the delivery, installation, and overall customer experience that truly make or break the relationship between the customer and the business.
As someone who has worked in the kitchen and bath industry for many years, I have had the opportunity to talk to and document the best of the best showroom experts in the industry. One quote that has always stood out to me is “the sale actually begins after the sale”. I have seen firsthand how important it is to prioritize the customer’s needs throughout the entire process, from the initial consultation to the final installation. Here are a few reasons why the sale truly begins after the actual sale:
- Customer satisfaction is key – In the kitchen and bath industry, word of mouth can make or break a business. If a customer is not satisfied with their experience, they are likely to share their negative experience with everyone including their friends and family. On the other hand, if a customer is thrilled with their experience, they are more likely to share their story with their inner circle of friends at a gathering, party and even online.
- Attention to detail is important – When it comes to delivering and installing products in a customer’s home, there is no room for error. Even small mistakes can cause frustration and inconvenience for the customer. Therefore, it’s important to pay close attention to every detail and ensure the product can get to its final destination, installed correctly and without any issues.
- Building a lasting relationship – A successful sale isn’t just about the immediate transaction. It’s about building a lasting relationship with the customer that can lead to future business and referrals. By providing excellent service and support throughout the entire process, the customer is more likely to trust the associate, the business and return for future projects.
So, what can businesses do to ensure the sale truly begins after the actual sale? Here are a few tips:
- Communicate clearly – From the initial consultation to the final installation, it’s important to communicate clearly and consistently with the customer. Keep them informed about the availability, delivery schedule and installation process, and be available to answer any questions or concerns they may have.
- Set realistic expectations – It’s important to set realistic expectations with the customer about the delivery and installation process. Let them know what to expect in terms of timing and any potential issues that may arise. This can help prevent misunderstandings and frustration down the line.
- Prioritize customer satisfaction – Always prioritize the customer’s needs and satisfaction throughout the entire process. This means paying close attention to detail, being on time for appointments, and ensuring the product is delivered, installed correctly and without any issues.
The sale truly begins after the actual sale in the kitchen and bath industry. By prioritizing customer satisfaction, paying attention to detail, and building a lasting relationship, businesses can ensure a successful sale that leads to future business and referrals.
Kitchen & Bath Marketer – Pacific Sales / Best Buy